Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Nature Museum

It's been so snowy and cold that we've been spending most of our time inside (unfortunately for me, inside my office). But a couple of weeks ago, in our continuing efforts to be cultural, John and I ventured out to the Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum in Lincoln Park. Everything in the museum was pretty gross -- lots of stuffed dead animals and nasty little bugs pinned into bulletin boards. The highlight was probably the butterfly garden - a tropical-ish room full of butterflies. Normally that sort of thing would have creeped the heck out of me, but it wasn't so bad. At least it was warm in there! The whole thing reminding me of this really great book I read last year called I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crossley, where the author volunteered at the New York nature museum and was assigned to the butterfly room, and she spent all her time being completely terrified of this huge nasty Atlas moth in the exhibit.

Overall, the museum was neat - just geared to people much younger.
One of the residents of the butterfly garden.


Gross bug collection. Ick.

No comments: