Saturday, April 20, 2013

Amazing Technicolor Dream Race

If you're not up for a sappy post about fitness, community, and fun, then you might as well stop reading now.

I got up bright and early and joined my mom and some friends for The Color Run, a race that (when in Tulsa) benefits the River Parks and involves being pelted with technicolor dream paint along the course.  There were around 14,000 participants this year, all in a field of white, waiting to start the  race along Riverside Drive. There were so many people that people were still waiting to start when I finished, and believe me - I did not break any records. The race was untimed (thank goodness) and more like an obstacle course with all the weaving and dodging around walkers and other just general mosey-ers of all ages.  It was pretty cool seeing that many Tulsans doing their bodies, and their city, good.

After the race, everyone got in a big mosh pit-type formation and threw even more color up in the air, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but definitely was not once the air was thick with powder and people. I was convinced I was going to suffocate to amazing technicolor dream death.

After being blown off by a leaf blower and several minutes of major scrubbing, I'm back to my pasty pale self (except for maybe some blue in my ears).  Definitely a fun event, and I'm looking forward to doing it again next year (hopefully with John and Henry in tow).

The before: shiny happy people

After: Rainbow Brite

No comments: