Friday, April 17, 2009

Sponge Bob Controversy

For the past couple of days, the news programs I regularly watch (including my beloved Today Show), have been airing segments on the new Burger King commercial, featuring Sponge Bob Squarepants, some dancers, and Sir Mixalot singing a re-worked version of "Baby Got Back." Apparently, a lot of parents are up in arms about the allegedly scantily clad dancers in the commercial, and for some reason this is newsworthy. I really think that there are more important things for parents to worry about than dancers in a kids meal commercial, such as how much television their children watch and childhood obesity. Honestly, when I think back to when I was six years old, I probably could have cared less about this commercial. The dancing ladies in their hotpants would not have turned me into a floozy. In fact, I probably would have been too busy thinking about other important things, such as how many squirts of Electric Youth perfume to put on, or who was cooler -- Barbie or She-Ra Princess of Power. I guess that I'm just frustrated because parents these days seem to worry about so many more unimportant things than my generation's parents did, and I don't think that our parents' lack of worry about such things as this silly Sponge Bob commercial made us any less likely to succeed.

Okay, off the soapbox for now...

No comments: